Saturday, January 24, 2009

Children Are Like Dogs, But . . . .


Many say children are like dogs.

They are loyal . . . 
. . . and affectionate

. . . but are teenagers more like cats?

It's so easy to be a dog owner.
You feed it, train it, and boss it around and yet
it still puts its head on your shoulder

and gazes at you as if you were a Rembrandt painting.

Then at around age 13 . . .

  . . . your adoring little puppy


. . . turns into a CAT. When you tell it to come inside, it looks amazed, as if wondering who died and made you emperor. Then it disappears. You won't see it again until it gets hungry.  When you reach out to ruffle its head, in that old affectionate gesture, it twists away from you, then gives you a blank stare, as if trying to remember where it has seen you before.

Not realizing that your dog is now a cat, you think something must be desperately wrong. It seems so antisocial, so distant. Since you are the one who raised it, taught it to fetch and stay, and sit on command, you assume that you did something wrong. Flooded with guilt and fear, you redouble your efforts to make your pet behave.

Only now, you are dealing with a cat, so everything that worked before now produces the opposite of the desired result.  Call it and it runs away.  Tell it to sit, and it jumps on the counter. The more you go toward it with open arms, the more it moves away. Instead of continuing to act like a dog owner, you should learn to behave like a cat owner.

Then . . .
put a dish of food near the door, and let it come to you  Sit still and it will come, seeking that warm comforting lap it has not entirely forgotten.  Be there to open the door for it.

And just remember . . . one day your grown-up child will walk into the kitchen, give you a big kiss and say, "You've been on your feet all day.  Let me get those dishes for you." Then you will realize that your cat is now a dog again.
                 

(These words were written by an unknown author.  I just illustrated them.)

9 comments:

Cherilee said...

Bonnie, this was so cute. I thougt you did an excellent job selecting the picture. I laughed my head off.

Camille said...

What great pictures! I love the one where Randy and the dog are looking at each other while he is drawing at the table. The whole time I was reading, I kept thinking what a clever writer you are. I was disappointed that you didn't write it--but you are still a good writer in my book. :)

p.s. And since I have teenagers, I can vouch that they are like cats sometimes. sigh . . .

Anonymous said...

Bonnie, your blog is beautiful and you are very clever.
Maybe we all just think that cats act like they know it all--but really it's just a show and they want us to figure out how to make them more like dogs. Or maybe not. I do know some unusually affectionate cats.

bebe said...

Thanks for the info...I'm already looking for advice for teens. The animal analogy will serve me well. Them I get. I love the wet cat look! so funny! U R Awesome!
Luva you,
Jen

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! This was so true, Bonnie. I am really thinking about it, do I have dogs or cats? At the very least, now I know why I have always been a dog lover.

TeamGornold said...

cute and very clever!
love ya!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Oh, Bonnie. How very funny! And how very true.

Love it. And you.

Nickie said...

That makes me scared to have my kids turn into teenagers!

Chase Campbell said...

This was really funny! I could totally see myself doing some of those things. I like the pictures too.