Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Dreams


My Christmas Dreams

Christmas should be spent
With loved ones so it seems,
So I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams.

Bubbling lights and toasting logs
Did set my heart aglow,
And I loved to tease my friends
By hanging mistletoe.

All those who entered in our door
Became a special guest.
The warmth and love we gave to all
Is what I remember best.

There were cookies, luscious candies,
Fruit cakes, and popcorn balls.
And the joy of children's laughter
Gaily echoed through our halls.

But underneath the tinseled tree
The real meaning lives.
The true spirit of this season
Is in the heart of one who gives.

The miracle of Christmas
Is found within the heart.
A metamorphosis of love
That sets this day apart.
                                            Written by Bonnie 12/16/1967

Although I wrote this poem the first year I was on my mission in Japan, Randy could almost be saying it.  Dee's friends have told me how much they loved coming to the Sorenson house at Christmas time. Who could forget the Looney Tune Tree with the Tazmanian Devil for the tree topper instead of an angel or the lighted Christmas balls Randy made out of plastic cups?  Randy loved to have his children and grandchildren come here for Christmas with all his heart.  Randy made it Christmas.
Randy may be home for Christmas
And maybe not just in our dreams. 

7 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Lovely poem, Bonnie. I love the photo of the kids with their dad. Your house looks beautiful. Mine is full of Christmas boxes and narry a tree yet.

bebe said...

Thanks for the pictures! It is wonderful to have the memories in print. You are such a great writer! It is obvious that you were a gifted teacher of English rather than just a qualified one.
Jen

Charlene said...

This is an incredible blog...you are truly a creative artist. love you...charlenedeony

TeamGornold said...

thanks for the pic!
we are missing dad too

Bonnie said...

Thanks to all of you for saying such nice things. I love getting comments because it helps me not feel so alone.

Camille said...

I'm so glad we got to experience Christmas at your house a couple years ago. You always decorate so nicely and really get into Christmas. Love ya mom!

Nickie said...

Wow, your such a good poet, do you even know it?
I love the picture, it's one I haven't seen, that was 2 years ago, huh. So strange what can happen in such a short time.
Love ya!