Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Star Sapphire

When Grammy (Ella McKinnon) died, Pop gave Charlene her wedding and engagement ring and he gave me her Star Sapphire. I was thrilled because I was there when Pop gave it to Grammy. Because my mother taught school, I stayed with Grammy every day.  I loved her so much.  I wanted to grow up to be just like her. Since she was a good cook, decorated cakes, and made homemade hand-dipped chocolates, I  wanted to learn how to do all of these, too.

One afternoon when I was about four, Pop came home early from the bank. He found Grammy and me in the back bedroom where I was helping her change the sheets.  Pop got a small blue container from his pocket, opened it, and put the most gorgeous ring I had ever seen on Grammy's finger. To show how amazed I was, I pretended to faint and fell to the floor.

Ever since the day of her funeral, I have worn her ring every day as a reminder of what a wonderful woman she was and also because the star in the ring teaches me an important lesson in life.  When I am indoors, I cannot see the star unless there is a very bright light shining directly upon it--even then it is not that brilliant.  When I go outside, the star is still not visible on a cloudy day, but if direct sunlight shines on the ring, the most brilliant star pops out of the ring giving it an almost three-dimensional effect.

On December 20, 1964, I was attending church in my home ward in Price, Utah, since BYU was on Christmas break. Price Second Ward had several very bright chandeliers hanging from the ceiling in the chapel.  I casually looked down at my ring and was surprised to see at least 3 different stars in the ring.  None could compare to the one brilliant star that sunlight could produce, but there were 3 discernible stars in the ring, just the same.

At that moment, Grammy's ring became a metaphor of my life.  I found a piece of paper in my purse and wrote the following poem as I sat in Sacrament Meeting that Sunday before Christmas.

                       The Sapphire

I walked into a court of kings one day.
I thought of one who came to earth--they say
Of humble birth and yet became a King,
A man so great He cause the Heav'ns to sing.

But I knew not this Master they called Christ
And who was said to have been sacrificed
That all mankind may live eternally.
My heart cried out, "Oh, what is Christ to me?"

I knelt before the king seated on his throne
and asked,
"Just who is Christ,this Man whom Thou hast known?"
Then silently the king removed his ring
And placed it on my hand, that it might bring
To me the truth of what I wished to know.
I gazed upon the gem and watched it glow.

I walked into a darkened, dismal room
And watched my ring intently midst the gloom.
Its brilliant colors seemed to slowly fade
As I did leave the light to seek the shade.

I left the gloom and soon beheld a sight
Where many chandeliers of brilliant light
Were hung along a crooked tangled row.
To my surprise an image seemed to grow
Within this blessed ring that I did wear.
Not just one star but several were there.

The true significance was still not clear
Until the glow of an exalted sphere
Was captured by a single dazzling star
Which surpassed the glorious sun by far. 

My life is like unto this hallowed ring
Given me by the wisdom of a King.
Satan's angels bring not the slightest beam
Of truth; they hide even the smallest gleam.
Too many treasures can only result
In a blurred image of toil and tumult.

The direct of light of Jesus Christ must be
The one way to bring out His Star in me
And with His help, may my soul's star be seen.
Christ is my Light, my Redeemer, my King!
          Written by Bonnie Sorenson, Age 20

4 comments:

Cherilee said...

I love your stories. It helps me to get to know and love you more each day.

Bel said...

Merry Christmas!! It was nice to see you at the reunion, hope you had a wonderful time. Sorry I never got you my email address so here it is: crazycruton@yahoo.com

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

The next time I see you I will look closely at your ring. It is beautiful. And I would have loved to see the "faint."

Camille said...

I love that ring and I can remember you wearing as far back as my memory goes.