Saturday, July 4, 2009

Remembering Randy By Learning To Do Cryptoquotes

My first impression of Randy is that he was a word genius. I couldn't believe he could decipher Cryptoquotes until I saw him solve one in 5 minutes right before my eyes. He subscribed to the Salt Lake Tribune because he did the crossword puzzles and Cryptoquotes that were published in it every day. As shown in the photo below, he even took some papers along when we went to the Uintahs for a picnic, so he could read all of us Asimov quizzes while the food was cooking. Font size
He would save his favorite quotes and Asimov quizzes. Here is one that he solved a few years ago. He liked it because he thought it was so funny.
Last May I was missing him so much I decided to try to learn how to do Cryptoquotes as a way of feeling a little bit of Randy's light in my life. For some reason, I was able to solve the first one I tried. Its message was so much how I was feeling that I saved it.
Being with Randy filled my life with such joy. Even unpleasant tasks became fun when I was with him. The dark never bothered me until Randy left, but then I found that I had become afraid of being alone in it. Metaphorically speaking, it has been very hard to just learn to walk alone in the light . . . and it is even harder in the dark.

When Randy was alive, I would try to do Cryptoquotes, but he almost always would have to help me. However, in the past 2 months, I have been able to solve all of them unaided except for two. Part of the fun of solving Cryptoquotes is reading some provocative quotations, so I will include a few more in this post:


9 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I watched part of Star Wars too. Brought back memmories of when the kids were little.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

This is a way cool post. How do you start? I want to do some.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Yikes, that first post was supposed to go on another blog. I'm leaving it up so you will know what a dork I can be!

Camille said...

Good for you mom on doing all of those cryptoquotes. My favorite is the last one--how true.

bebe said...

I was going to try to post my comment in a cryptoquote, but I am not that patient - maybe later!! Thanks for the post!! Luvs and Huggies..........TROMMULO

bebe said...

We are so grateful to have gone up to the Uintah's for Randy's birthday. I love this picture of him. I remember the exact moment in time of this picture. I have a feeling that you were not walking alone when you solved this first c-quote! What an amazing message!

Charlene said...

Bonnie...I just learned something new in life at the ripe old age of 71 (almost 72) I always thought that when people talked about cryptoquotes,,,that the subject had something to do with dead things or something.....They are really cool...but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to decode them. I wrote down the ones you had . It had to take some creative thoughtful person to make them up.....Thanks for being such a wonderfully talented sister.... You really have a gift for writing. I'm looking forward to going out somewhere to get a Mango Juice in the future......Love, Charlene

Cherilee said...

Bonnie, I must be honest and say I have never heard of cryptoquotes before. I love the messages on them. They look really cool!

Nickie said...

I would have no idea where to even begin with a cryptoquote. Nice going.
I love that picture of Dad in his Cubs hat and everything.
I miss that guy.
Love you!