Sunday, August 1, 2010

I Can't Believe that Someone Didn't Call the Police!

The Japanese members of the Church always liked to ask the full-time missionaries to put on special programs for them. Plus, the missionaries liked doing it because it was a fun break from everyday proselyting. When I was in Sendai, Japan, the summer of 1968, the missionaries were asked to put on a special 24th of July program, so Elder Peterson our District leader, decided to let the members have a glimpse of what pioneer life was really like. The skit was to take place in the dirt lot which was in front of the old pink building where we attended church. We affectionately called it the Pink Barn.
The elders spent a week making the log cabin, seen below, out of cardboard and in preparing for the skit. Here are the members, on July 24, 1968, calmly waiting for our program to begin. They had no idea what they were in for.
Elder Peterson talked the local junk man out of his cow and wagon for the night, so Sister Stoddard and I rode in on the wagon and Elder Peterson, our "dad for the night," led the cow into the church yard.
Elder Peterson rented a 45 revolver and here he is doing some of his fancy quick draws for the members. He was actually very adept at handling a gun, but remember we are "missionaries."

As the skit progressed, my companion and I fixed our dad dinner. We didn't have anything for costumes, so I had the idea of copying "The Sound of Music," so we used the green and white curtains from the church for our skirts and I used a paper bag to make a bonnet. I am sorry I am wearing the "bonnet" because you can't see my face, but I really was there.
Then our dad left his daughters (us) alone, so guess what happened?
Of course, the Indians attacked! Bloodcurdling war hoops startled the poor Japanese members, and out of the shadows came Elder McNeil with a flaming arrow to set the cabin on fire! (As this progressed, I was beginning to wonder if flaming arrows were against the fire code in the city of Sendai.)
Two more Indians (elders) appeared torching the cabin again and taking my companion and I captive.
Then they tied Sister Stoddard and me to the stake.
Then the Indians did something that my companion and I didn't plan on. They had soaked a rope in kerosene and then they lit it on fire. The flames were just a little bit too close for comfort and as we were encircled by flames, I got an idea of how the pioneers really had felt. I was hoping the flames wouldn't spread and that I would live to see my parents again.
Three Indians did a war dance around us while we were encircled by flames. (At this point the members were shocked. ) They thought that the Elders were being really mean to us, but then Elder Peterson, our dad, appeared with his gun, scared the Indians away, and put out the fire.

It was all really great fun and a skit like this will probably never be seen again
by the Japanese saints.
In Sendai, Japan, July 24, 1968, will go down in infamy;
and it will always be one of my favorite memories.

10 comments:

Camille said...

Thanks for sharing a great story Mom!

Nickie said...

Jeezaloo! I don't think they're ever gonna let you go back there...not after those shenanigans.
London wants to know if her prayers are working...in other words, how's your knee?
Love you!

Cherilee said...

You will never cease to amaze me.

Charlene said...

dear bonnie,
nana and i just read your missionary play and it was hilarious. and i am gald you didn't go to jail because you were an innocent pioneer girl who was actually a missionary!....haha..

love you lots, Maia Manu and Charlene Newell(sister)

Anonymous said...

Great skit!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Rod -- It is great to get to know your family a little. Let me know if this works. I'll talk to you later. Have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

That is quite the dog you have. It will keep you busy I can tell. The ducks are smart an know who will take care of the in grand style. have a great day, Rod

Terry Poublon said...

Hello Bonnie...

I am the one who posted a message about Hawthorne High School's Linda Stoddard - Class of 1960. She was my 4th Grade Teacher from 1973-74... and now lifelong friend. I am the webmaster of Leuzinger High School's Class of 1981 Website. I also run YouTube's Leuzinger1981 Channel. I've posted a music video in tribute to Linda which includes a segment regarding your mission in Sendai Japan. The link to that music video is provided... hope you enjoy it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI1d4pGEntc

Keiko said...

That skit was a great.
i think the fun activity is need.

Your missionaries group did good job.
I like it very much.

The picture and words are so good and easy to understand it.

Thank you