Monday, August 16, 2010

Yukatas, Dragon Boats, and 1000 Cranes

On August 7, they celebrate Tanabata, the Festival of the Stars, in Sendai, Japan. While I was a missionary in Sendai, we had an investigator whose father owned a kimono shop. He made both my companion and me special yukatas (summer kimonos made out of cotton) which were hand painted with designs like the beautiful paper decorations that they hang above the streets for the Tanabata Festival. Sister missionaries don't usually wear kimonos, but we got special permission to wear them for only one hour. Here we are in the yutakas that were made especially for us. Pictured below from left to right: Me, our investigator, my companion Linda Stoddard, and a member of the Sendai Branch who went with us.
We had only walked one block when a man rushed up to me and said, "Hold my baby, so I can take your picture with her." I wonder who he thought I was.
After the second block, we were interviewed by a radio station. After the 3rd block, a reporter from the local newspaper took our picture, and after the 4th block a television station photographed us and we ended up being on the TV news. I have no idea why all the media was so interested in us, but it sure was fun.

Here's our photo as it appeared in the newspaper. Translated it says, "The Casual Kimono Style is very fitting. In paper and bamboo. . .they're pretty, aren't they?
Here are more photos of the decorations that go on for 8 blocks. Above is Sister Stoddard talking to some girls. In this photo you can see how long these decorations really are in comparison to the people below.
Did you notice the Coca Cola sign?
About the same time that Tanabata was in Sendai, the missionaries went with some of the members to Matsushima (it means Pine Islands). We rode on boats that were shaped liked dragons as they wended their way between many beautiful pine covered islands.

The photo below shows how Matsushima looks with all of its tiny pine covered islands.
After I got home from Japan and I was living in Billings, Montana, the owners of a Japanese restaurant were celebrating the 1st birthday of the their 1st child. A friend of mine was invited to the birthday party, so I decided to make a present that most people in Japan will never get. I folded 1000 cranes in one week's time as a birthday present for the child. I could fold 100 cranes in 6 hours if I wasn't interrupted, so you can see that it was a BIG project. Since I had to finish in one week, I was working every spare moment that I had and then I strung them together in Tanabata fashion. It took over 50 hours to make. I was still putting this together one hour before my friend was to go to the party. As you can tell, I had an oriental living room when I lived in Billings.
One thousand cranes are a symbol of long life and good luck. Jon told me that when the mom saw the gift she started crying and was totally surprised to receive such a gift. She didn't even know me. I just wanted to do something that would be totally unexpected.
(For those of you who know me, you know how I like to do unusual things, and giving something anonymously is even more fun.)

7 comments:

Nickie said...

You have to teach us how to fold cranes, I would love to know how!
I love these pictures, you are so beautiful in them. That's why the Japanese press couldn't leave you alone, they probably thought you were an American movie star or something.
I love the pictures of the boats, wow, they are amazing people. I would love to go there someday.
Love you!

ERRC'S DAD said...

What a special privelege, to attend the festival dressed so appropriately!

Folding 1000's cranes, when you have no deadline is one thing, but to do it with such zeal so it could be ready for the party, truly amazing!

I'm glad you're feeling better, Bonnie.

Charlene said...

dear aunt bonnie.... nana and i saw the chinese thing that you made! That was incredible. You are very talented and special!.....i can not wait to go on my mission!

Love, Maia Manu and Charlene Newell

TeamGornold said...

i have read you blog, lot's and lot's, i just haven't had time to comment. ALL of the photos are simply beautiful and I am with nick, i want to learn how to fold paper cranes and you do look amazing in your photos from japan. what a neat adventure that must have been, i know it was a mission, but i like to call it an adventure.
you have quite a life bonnie! i am so glad you share it with us!
love ya!

Cherilee said...

Bonnie, you are so beautiful. I love to see these pictures.

Terrence Poublon said...

Hello Bonnie...

I am the webmaster of Leuzinger High School's Class of 1981 and the young man of 47 who visited Linda Stoddard Frizzell and her husband Norman. I ran across your journal... and enjoyed the photos of your visit with Linda in Japan. They are beautiful pics!

Thank You for posting them along with the commentary. It is very heartwarming! Terry.

Keiko said...

i can not believe it.
You are some thing !
Usually the group of the people make the 1000 !
you are a very very special !