Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Rich Holdaway's Thoughts of Randy

Rich Holdaway sent me the most wonderful e-mail and I would like to share what he wrote:

Happy Day...
Sad Day.

A day for memories...
All day long.

Our friend...
Your soul mate

He created so many good times...
His laugh, his fun
His never failing gift of giving
He gave us love

We love you Sorens
Forever

I have a tear in my eye.  It is trying to follow tears already gone.
But I am not depressed only a bit lonesome, with so much to say, to ask, to do, without the one person--the ONLY person--who was there, always to fill...
Randy filled me with laughter, camaraderie, spontaneous stories and fantasy that always led to the same place--the kitchen, downstairs, or at parting in your driveway.  That place was where the twinkle in his eye got a little sharper, focused and full of mutual love, kind of past, present and future all rolled into one.  We knew where we had been and what had been done and said...what was shared and we were already looking for something new (or old) to "blow up." 

Today I'm going to find something to Blow-Up! A celebration for this special day in his memory.

Be cheerful, smile in the mirror... to yourself and Randy.  That's what he would hope for--a smile from you.
He must be close.  Feel his spirit.  Drive his car, sit in his favorite chair, enjoy some of his famous salsa.   Happy Anniversary.

Love,
Rich

5 comments:

Camille said...

Beautiful poem and tribute to Randy.

Nickie said...

I knew I forgot to do something yesterday-blow stuff up! What was I thinking? We had huge hamburgers, but I should have bought corn on the cob to go with it.
I loved it, everything he says about dad is so perfect. I wish Dad would have let me get to know him the same way.
It's easy for me to let myself get swept up in my life, that way I don't have to be sad about my parents being gone. But I do miss his phone calls. Especially the ones when I was pregnant...he called me to make sure I was eating healthy, and he'd call to tell me the latest pregnancy fads. I miss that...
Anyway, I'm a blubber-er and I'll shut-up now-it's called "comments" not "sagas" Jeez Nick!

Unknown said...

geat poem Bonnie!!

bebe said...

It is so cool to get other perspectives on how people view Dad. To me he was always 'Dad'!! I know that encompasses a great many things, but I was the beneficiary of the finished product. It is great to get some perspective from the demented mind that helped mold his demented mind!! THANKS RICH!! I can't say enough about what your thoughts and stories do to help me understand i bit behind the man behind....ME!!

Dee said...

Thank you, Rich. I love to hear your insights and to know that you feel the same loss. You put it perfectly when you defined the twinkle in his eye. That look meant the world to me. A son only ever wants to do right by his dad. When he would look at me that way, it took me to a higher level. Still does.