Sunday, May 3, 2009

Horses and Hats

When I was in fourth grade, I became horse crazy.  Every day I would draw horses--probably because it was the only thing I could draw very well. The white paper is now yellow, but I saved some of the work I did when in elementary school. I drew this picture when I was age 9. The above horse's name was Cuddles and Cream.
I drew this horse at the end of fourth grade when I was age 10. The paper has yellowed because this drawing is 55 years old!  It seems like it was just yesterday.
I had always loved animals and mostly read books about them: Bambi and Bambi's Children by Felix SaltenBlack Beauty, Beautiful Joe ( about a dog who had his ears cut off by some mean person), but then I discovered the Black Stallion books by Walter Farley and that did it! I read all 12 of them while in 4th grade! I fell totally in love with Arabian horses and from that moment on I kept track of which horses won the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont Stakes.  I was overjoyed in sixth grade when my family got a TV because then I started watching all of the Triple Crown races on television.

If a human can have a horse for a hero, then I would have to say that Secretariat became my hero. I can still remember when Jim McKay on ABC's Wide World of Sports called the Belmont Stakes when Secretariat won by 31 lengths. No horse has ever won the Belmont with such a large margin of distance. Secretariat also set the world record in speed. Secretariat's record at the Belmont has never been broken. 
Above is Secretariat winning the Kentucky Derby in 1973.  He set a track record that has never been equalled. He ran the 1 1/4 miles in 1:59 2/5 minutes.  He achieved the unheard-of feat called "Negative splitting" which means he ran each quarter mile segment faster than the one before it.  His successive quarter mile times were:  25 1/4, 24, 23 4/5, 23 2/5, and 23. He was accelerating faster and faster in each succeeding 1/4 mile and was still accelerating by the time he crossed the finish line--something that no horse had ever done. 
This black and white photo shows Secretariat  31 lengths ahead of the 2nd place horse in the Belmont in 1973.  Secretariat not only broke the margin-of-victory record , but he also ran the fastest 1 1/2 miles on dirt in history, at 2:24 flat. This works out to a speed of 37.5 mph for his entire performance.  Secretariat's world record still stands. 
(In fact , no other horse has even broken 2:25 for this same distance.)
This color photo shows just how far ahead Secretariat was from the rest of the horses when he won the Belmont.
Because many consider Secretariat to be the greatest race horse of all time and because his records at the Belmont Stakes have never been equalled, they erected this bronze statue in his honor by the entrance gate at Belmont Race Track.

Although I have always loved Secretariat's speed. I think Arabian horses have the most beautiful heads of any breed of horse.  Compare this black Arabian's head with Secretariat's. Just look at the small chiseled noses on these gorgeous horses.
Again, notice this grey Arabian's head and how it narrows at the nose.
Arabians' heads are so much more exquisite than those of quarter horses
 I always wanted my own black Arabian, just like the child pictured in this movie poster.
Aren't they stunning when they run?
Today, Mine That Bird, a long shot--a horse with 50-1 odds won the Kentucky Derby. In the whole 135 year history of the Derby, only one other horse has won with such big odds. 
Here's Mine That Bird crossing the finish line today.  I bet his owners are kicking themselves because he is a gelding. (This means he cannot sire any children.)
Randy always said the best part of baseball is "the game within the game." I loved having him explain "the game within the game" to me when we would be watching a baseball game on television. 

Well, part of the game within the game at the Derby is the unofficial contest the ladies have to see who can have the best hat.  Here are some of the ladies who were watching the Derby today. It must have been a lot warmer in Kentucky today than it was in Utah because most of the ladies are wearing sleeveless dresses. 
At least this one is made out of see-through material.
This one, shaped like a horse's head, gets the unofficial award for being the most creative.
All of these hats are so big, how can anyone see the horse race?

8 comments:

bebe said...

I had no idea you were such a fan of the equine. I really enjoyed watching the overhead replay of the Kentucky Derby and watching Make Mine Bird come from out of nowhere along the rails to win. I wish I could locate some of the drawings I did when I was a kid. It's so fantastic that you have yours. As for the ladies hats - did you ever think that you would think that a lady wearing something see-through would be a good thing?!? Love Ya!!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

What a fascinating post. I think you should take some horse riding lessons, don't you think so too?

Nickie said...

You know what I can't get over? Why do horses, especially race horses always have such stupid names!!?? I love the story, but I hate the name Seabiscuit...WHAT!!
I would loooove the go be a part of the hat competition though, what a "My Fair Lady" moment.
Loves!

Bonnie said...

I agree with you, Nickie. As I was writing this post, I kept wondering how in the world they came up with the name Mine That Bird. That name just doesn't make sense.

bebe said...

I thought I loved horses as a child. Now I know how deep that love can be through having you share your history them. I couldn't draw (O.K. can't draw), but I did do a couple of paint-by-number horse pictures that I enjoyed. Thanks for sharing yourself so much with us. You are such an amazing and knowledgable person!

Cherilee said...

I would have never guessed it in a million years. You continue to amaze me every day. I also think the hats a cool.

Shari Belden said...

Hello every one, I have an incredible story for you if you want to read it! I had the honor of the daughter of the Black Stallion in my yard! A friend of mine sold potatoes and she said she had a new customer that owned horses!! well that's my cue to ask what Breed as I love Arabian's and owned a few !! She said after she asked him "Do you know that Movie The Black Stallion? well Hello I most certainly Do and I of coarse I had seen both and loved all but the fire scene as I myself wouldn't want MY horse treated like that, they say no animals hurt but that doesn't include scared I don't believe,well I said Yes and she told me that it was a Mare and filly By THE Blk. Stallion!!As it was to play out so incredible!! I asked her to ask him if I could go to Conn. to where he Boarded them!! I had myself the most incredible Journey!! We went to see them and conditions were horrible there and I talked him into letting me bring the Mare and filly to my home in Mass. and OH how I loved it !!Don't think I didn't Wonder if it really was the Blk. Stallion's Daughter! So my friend had the Stud Book asked me to get her reg.# It took awhile for him to dig out the Paperwork!And yes!! Yes!she was a Daughter of Cass-Ole!! He was one of ten Stallions used to make the films! The Mare was from The Shar-Char Ranch? breeders? they name all Mares and filly's SHAR and all the Studs and colts CHAR! Well I was blown away as she was not only THE BLACK STALLIONS daughter but from SHAR-CHAR Breeders!!!!I was in heaven They are SHAR-DOLE AND SHAR-OLE BY the BLK.cASS -OLE I loved them so much and when he came to get them he broke my heart and I put myself into a very dangerous position. He wanted to take them back and I had no say as they belonged to him and the day he came to get them he came in a box reefer truck made to haul produce not Horses!! He didn't know anything about them he had seen the movie and wanted one so he bought one .The breeding alone was 20,ooo.oo even if she didn't Settle no guarantees just bring the mare and breed them!!Shar-dole settled and had Shar-ole!!My wonderful! Lucky self and that's one of a few of my horese tails!

Gabriel and Amber Spencer said...

Where do I get that wicker horse hat?!